"Good prose should be transparent, like a window pane."
George Orwell (1903-1950)
Publicious, Manuscript Assessment,
Copy Edit and Proofreading
You've finished your manuscript. You've read through it around twenty-times. You've made all the necessary changes and fixed all the errors and typos. You've even let old Mrs Smith down the road (the retired English teacher) read it and, even though she picked up a few more errors, she loved it so much she raves that it should be made into a movie. Sound familiar...?
You might not think so but it is a fact that all professional writers need professional editing. The books you see in the bookstores are, in some cases, vastly different from the manuscripts submitted to editors by even the most accomplished authors. It is the editor's job to work closely with the author to tighten and polish the manuscript then it is the publisher's job to make sure the finished article is right for publication.
If you are a self-published author; it is important to remember that YOU are the publisher, so it is your responsibility to ensure that your book is as good as it can be and worth the money you are expecting to sell it for.
We have created a worldwide database of qualified editors with specialties covering all genres. This is great news for self-published authors for the following reasons:
- All our editors are hand picked by us and experienced in their fields.
- We can match the right editor to your book. If you have written a children's story aimed at 5-8 year olds, it is essential that your editor is qualified and experienced in editing this genre. Like wise for poetry and academia. Different books require different editors!
- We have editors worldwide, so whether you are in the US, UK, Australia or anywhere else, we have you covered.
- Our rates (see below) are very competitive; in fact we doubt you will find editing of this quality at these prices anywhere.
- Our editors charge per page (Industry Standard 290 words) and not per hour, which means you will know exactly how much your edit will cost before committing to the work. No nasty surprises at the end!
- We work via the Internet in Microsoft Word and use track changes, which means you will save on the time and expense of having to print and post your manuscript.
- We make the process easy and affordable and give you the peace of mind that your book will be right.
Meet our editors here
Here's a breakdown of the editing services we provide:
Manuscript Assessment (AKA Structural or Substantive Edit)
This is a great place to start if you need a critical eye to check over your manuscript before submitting it for editing. Copy editing and proofreading tend to look in detail at the accuracy of spelling, grammar and punctuation etc, while a Manuscript Assessment will give you professional advice on the big picture. You'll receive a written report by one of our qualified editors detailing aspects of structure, style and prose such as plot, character, point-of-view, pace, writing style, narrative, dialogue, presentation, length, and use of research etc.
A manuscript assessment is designed to ready your manuscript for copy editing or proof-reading.
All titles submitted for copy editing are required to be vetted past the first draft status (beta readers, peer reviews/critiques, etc). Submissions should be around third draft status, already be as clean and tight as the author can make it on their own - and be ready for the resource of a professional editor to bring the work to publish-ready status. For more information see the chapter on editing in our ebook,The Publicious Guide to Self-Publishing.
A copy edit includes the following checks:
- punctuation and spelling
- sentence structure (syntax), basic paragraph structure.
- subject and verb agreement and proper word use
- redundancies and inconsistencies and extraneous sub-plots
- dialogue flow and format
Throughout the editing process the editor will write comments, suggestions and feedback in the comments/margins designed to strengthen and benefit the readability of your ms. It is then down to you the author to implement these changes, disregard them, or compromise as preferred. Remember, at the end of the day you as the self-published author are the boss!
Should a ms need proofreading even if it's been edited?
Yes. During and after the edit, sentences, paragraphs and, in some cases, whole chapters may have been rewritten by the author and can contain new typos or errors that weren't there during the edit. This is where a final proofread will pick up any problems and ensure the author the peace of mind of knowing that their book is the best it can be.
A basic proofread is designed to pick any remaining errors in grammar, punctuation and spelling and is not designed as an alternative to editing.
Please note: proofreading can only be carried out once an edit, either by Publicious or your own editor, has been completed. Our affordable proofreading service is designed to give your ms that final professional polish that it deserves.
Combined Copy Edit and Proofread Package (recommended)
Includes everything that is listed in the two categories above but offered at a discount price to our authors.
A combined ms appraisal, copy edit and follow-up proofread package is also available at an even greater discount (see below).
Costs for all editing services:
Please note: all prices are quoted in Australian dollars (AUD). To convert prices to your currency please use our handy currency converter at the bottom of this page. Prices will vary depending on the amount of work required, for this reason manuscripts are priced individually. The following prices are supplied as a guide only and would only apply for those works that need a minimum amount of work.
Please state which of the following services you will require when contacting us.
$0.011 per word
Minimum charge for a manuscript assessment is $400.00.
$5.00 per A-4 double-spaced page (290 words, quarter pages and less are calculated to the author's benefit)
Minimum charge for a copy edit is $500.00.
$3.00 per A-4 double-spaced page (290 words, quarter pages and less are calculated to the author's benefit)
Minimum charge for a follow-up proofread is $300.00.
Combined Copy Edit and Follow-up Proofread Package (recommended)
$7.00 per A-4 double-spaced page (290 words, quarter pages and less are calculated to the author's benefit)
Minimum charge for a combined editing package is $700.00.
Combined Assesment, Copy Edit and Follow-up Proofread Package
Assesment $0.010 per word. $6.00 per A-4 double-spaced page (290 words, quarter pages and less are calculated to the author's benefit)
Minimum charge for a combined editing package is $900.00.
Get a quote here
The guidelines for submitting a manuscript (ms) for editing are as follows:
- ms should be typed on A4 (US letter) Word document (or similar)
- Double spaced, single-sided.
- 3 cm (1.18 inch) margins
- Font Times New Roman regular 12 pt
- Pages to be numbered
- Title and/or author's name on each page
- Manuscript can be sent to us either as an email attachment or uploaded via our upload page (password required) or posted as hardcopy to Publicious
- All our editing services require MS Word or Pages (or similar) and use track changes and comments
- Your privacy and intellectual property are paramount. This means no other person has access to your work during the editorial process. Your ideas and words will not be disclosed to anyone without your express permission. You retain the copyright to your work
Get a quote here
We look forward to the prospect of working with you soon!
WordsRU - Writers Proofreading and Editing Services
"Editing vs Proofreading" The Author's Guide to Professional Book Editing